Ages: 5 through 21
Testing time: 60-90 minutesAdministration: Individual
The TAPS-4 provides information about language processing and comprehension skills across three intersecting areas: phonological processing, auditory memory and listening comprehension. These areas underpin the development of effective listening and communication skills, and are critical to the development of higher order language skills, including literacy skills.
Fourth edition features new subtests along with revisions to subtests from the TAPS-3, fully updated norms, and an expanded age range. The new subtests were also reorganized into Index and Supplemental subtests, reducing testing burden and increasing flexibility in administration.
TAPS-4 also features audio administration for the subtests in which proper pronunciation of speech sounds is critical, providing a greater degree of standardization and accuracy during the testing process.
Eleven subtests organized into three indices:
Phonological Processing Index
- Word (Pair) Discrimination: Assesses an individual's ability to discriminate whether a given word pair is the same or different
- Phonological Deletion: Assesses an individual's ability to manipulate phonemes within words
- Phonological Blending: Assesses an individual's ability to synthesize a word given the individual phonemes
- Syllabic Blending (Supplemental): Assesses an individual's ability to synthesize a nonsense word given the individual syllables
Auditory Memory Index
- Number Memory Forward: Assesses an individual's ability to recall an auditory sequence of numbers in the given order
- Word Memory: Assesses an individual's ability to recall an auditory sequence of words in the given order
- Sentence Memory: Assesses an individual's ability to recall a spoken sentence
- Number Memory Reversed (Supplemental): Assesses an individual's ability to recall an auditory sequence of numbers in the reverse order
Listening Comprehension Index
- Processing Oral Directions (without background noise): Assesses an individual's ability to process and recall oral directions when presented in quiet listening conditions
- Auditory Comprehension: Assesses an individual's ability to comprehend oral language at the sentence and narrative level, including literal recall, inference, and higher order language tasks such as idioms and figurative language
- Auditory Figure-Ground (Processing Oral Directions with background noise) (Supplemental): Assesses an individual's ability to process and recall oral directions when presented with competing background noise
TAPS-4 assesses five narrow abilities across three broad skill areas as defined in the Cattell-Horn-Carroll (CHC) theory of cognitive abilities:
- Memory Span (MS)
- Working Memory Capacity (MW)
- Phonetics Coding (PC)
- resistance to Auditory Stimulus Distortion (UR)
- Listening Ability (LS)
Administration and Scoring: TAPS-4 Index subtests can be administered in one hour or less. Scaled scores are provided for subtests; standard scores are provided for indices and the overall score. Discrepancy scores allow comparison of performance across subtests.
In Stock: The item is in stock in our warehouse. Stock statuses can change daily as we process customer orders and receive new inventory. A customer care representative will contact you if there is a problem shipping your in stock item.
Ships Soon: The item is available but not stored in our warehouse. Available items may ship directly from the manufacturer and cannot ship next day, 2nd day or 3rd day. Low stock or large orders can sometimes cause delays in shipping. A customer care representative will contact you if there is a problem shipping your available item.
Discontinued: Discontinued items are no longer available through School Health. Contact a customer care representative if you need help finding a replacement or similar item.
Backordered: The item is not in stock. We will ship the item as soon as it becomes available or you can contact a customer care representative for help in finding a replacement item.
We deliver an unparalleled customer experience so you can support the health of your students to enable them to learn and perform to the best of their abilities.
ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES