Please Note: School Health can provide Read&Write to government agencies, non-profit and other organizations or groups, individuals including directly to students (excludes school systems).
Read&Write literacy software makes the web, documents and files more accessible. It is a friendly, intuitive toolbar that assists with everyday tasks like reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments and proofing written work. It is a big confidence booster for anyone who needs a little extra help with their reading and writing, at school or in the workplace. Great for people with dyslexia and other learning difficulties, or anyone whose first language is not English.
It allows individuals to work independently in an inclusive environment ensuring they “keep up” with their peers in the same classroom. Increased independence leads to higher levels of motivation resulting in users who are empowered to carry on with study at home, school or even in the work place.
The mobile version (previously supplied as a USB) can be used on more than one computer, via USB.
- Customizable Toolbar: provides reading, writing, studying, and research support tools within familiar applications. Choice of 12 different colors for toolbar background.
- Support for Google Docs: support tools including text-to-speech, spell checker, text and picture dictionaries, word prediction, study skills, vocabulary, and more
- Support for Chrome and Firefox: accessibility support includes: read the web, screenshot reader, text and picture dictionaries, translator, and more.
- Word Bank: access Word Bank with 1 million+ of the most common English phrases and 150+ subject-specific word banks. Create custom word banks and add words to the prediction database.
- Word Cloud: use word banks or selected text to create and display word lists or "clouds" when writing, filling worksheets, or taking tests.
- Voice Note: record a voice note and insert it directly into a Word document; insert instructions or create audio responses. Can also be saved as a .wav file.
- Text to Speech: reads text aloud with dual color highlighting. Enhanced with Nuance Vocalizer expressive male and female American voices.
- Screenshot Reader: reads aloud inaccessible text, including text embedded within an image or Flash, locked PDFs, or online applications. Text can even be exported directly into Word or Pages document. Can be disabled when not allowed, such as in a testing situation.
- Phonetic Spell Checker: analyzes and returns suggestions with definitions; Phonetic spelling, flexible spelling, and mirror letter errors are identified. Uses collocated words - words found on either side of the word - to provide more accurate suggestions.
- Word Prediction: learns the writer's style and predicts the word being typed and the next word; prediction can be modified by manually adding words. Indicators show context accuracy to avoid grammatical errors. Improved with the use of Word Banks. Also identifies homophones and uses the phonetic mappings in the Spell Checker to provide more suggestions.
- Talking Dictionary: provides definitions as well as alternative words to help expand vocabulary and improve reading comprehension. Basic, advances and online dictionaries support writing skills. Google dictionary is the default dictionary
- Picture Dictionary: displays images for selected words. Users can get a visual image to better understand a words meaning.
- Vocabulary List Builder: build lists by highlighting words in a document or web page or by entering words manually. A document is automatically created with the words, definitions and images.
- Sounds Like and Confusable Words Checker: identifies words that sound the same but are spelled differently or words that are commonly confused. Display alternate choices and definitions.
- Verb Checker: helps determine verb conjugation. Once past, present, or future tense is selected, multiple conjugations are provided.
- Talking Calculator: provides the most common functions associated with a Simple or Scientific Calculator; provides an audit trail that shows calculations as they progress.
- Speech Maker: quickly and easily select any text and convert into a sound file, such as MP3. Enhanced with ability to edit text prior to creating audio file.
- DAISY Reader: reads DAISY Books aloud, includes support for MathML and books using the DAISY plug-in. Supports Open University DAISY books.
- Pronunciation Tutor: breaks words into syllables allowing easy recognition of syllables in a word; includes an on-screen moving mouth to help develop more accurate speech.
- Scanning: scans print and digital documents; even scan documents using a digital camera. Supports ABBYY version 7, including Scan to ePub.
- Fact Finder: search the web for relevant information about any topic.
- Fact Folder: prepare and store information, capture text and pictures, classify facts, and record their source. Automatically generates bibliographies.
- Fact Mapper: produce a visual representation of facts and ideas on screen. Great for idea mapping, brainstorming, outlining, drafting and revising.
- Screen Masking: tints the screen using colors, like an overlay, helping users who have trouble focusing on the screen by masking out active/non-active parts of the screen.
- Speech Input: convert speech to text to be read aloud.
- Online Translator: translates into multiple languages and speaks the translation aloud while highlighting.
- PDF Aloud: speech-enables PDF files with dual color highlighting support.
- Study Skills Tools: highlight and extract text from any document or website to create study guides, outlines, etc. Collect highlighted text with bibliography information and export into a Word, Google, or Pages document.
- Summary Feature: allows users, while working in Microsoft Word, to summarize a document by paring down its content by 10% to 75%.
- NIMAS Conversion Tool: creates NIMAS source files from your work (e.g., Digital Talking Books).
- Teacher's Toolkit: allows control of which features can be accessed, includes a spelling error log and an activity log which can be accessed only by the teacher. The spelling log provides a list of recent corrections that have made, while the activity log lists information such as duration the program was used, number of words typed, number of errors, percentage of errors and any new words that have been learned. This can be used to re-test, to create individual plans or to assess usage of software.
Read&Write is supplied as a digital download. Read&Write Mobile contains all of the files required to run Read&Write.
- No installation required - can be used on any Windows computer via USB
- Provides complete portability
- Includes all of the features in Read&Write
- Users can store their own files on the device along with the Read&Write software