Working at an angle with a book or writing paper promotes the development of proper hand and wrist position for handwriting and fine-motor skills, as well as good visual tracking. It also encourages better posture and positioning for writing or reading.
These slant boards feature a low angle (20°), are made of sturdy, light-weight Plexiglas, include a handle for easy transport, large metal clip to hold papers, and no-slip discs to prevent slipping. SlantSpript board measures 9” x 14”. Big Board measures 14” x 15”.
Benefits of a slant board:
- Promotes fine and visual motor skills. The angled position of the slant board promotes better placement of the shoulder, arm and hand. It is therefore providing a better position to work on skills such as writing and drawing. The position of the board also brings the paper closer to the child and makes it easier to see.
- Promotes an efficient marker grasp. The best hand position for handwriting and holding a writing utensil is in wrist flexion. The angled position of the slant board promotes this position, which provides better support for holding a pencil appropriately. This position may also assist in applying just the right amount of muscle force in holding a pencil.
- Provides an easier to reach work surface. For children who have difficulty reaching the entire paper while flat on a desk, the slant board provides an easier distance to reach from the top to the bottom of the page, while also keeping the paper stabilized.
- Helps with posture. Typically, writing or reading on a flat surface utilizes an inefficient posture, as seen through slumped body position, elevated shoulders, and looking down consistently. The slant board brings the line of vision higher, which encourages looking down to promote an upright posture.
- Allows visual tracking for reading. Placing a book or other reading material on a slant board may reduce eye strain. The child does not need to refocus their eyes as they scan through a page since all text remains at the same angle.