Ages: 8-0 to 17-11
Testing time: 30 to 60 minutes
TOLD-I:4 can be used to:
- identify children who have problems in oral language
- determine their specific strengths and weaknesses in oral language skills
- document their progress in remedial programs
- measure oral language in research studies
The TOLD-I:4 comprises six subtests that measure semantics (i.e., meaning and thought) or grammar (i.e., syntax and morphology) skills. Two subtests measure listening abilities; two measure organizing abilities; and two measure speaking abilities. The combination of all six subtests represents overall Spoken Language.
- Sentence Combining — the child is to form one compound or complex sentence from two or more simple sentences spoken by the examiner (grammar, speaking)
- Picture Vocabulary — the child is to point to one picture (of six per card) that best represents a series of two-word stimulus (semantics, listening)
- Word Ordering — the child is to form a complete, correct sentence from a randomly-ordered string of words, ranging from three to seven in length (grammar, organizing)
- Relational Vocabulary — the child must tell how three words, spoken by the examiner, are alike (semantics, organizing)
- Morphological Comprehension — the child must distinguish between grammatically correct and incorrect sentences (grammar, listening)
- Multiple Meanings — the examiner says a word to a child who responds by saying as many different meanings for that word as he/she can think of (semantics, speaking)
- All new normative data were collected from a demographic representative sample of the 2005 U.S. population.
- Floor effects have been eliminated.
- Study of item bias has been expanded.
- Numerous validity studies, including studies of the test’s “sensitivity” and “specificity” have been provided.
- A new composite (Organizing) has been included in the battery.
- A new subtest (Multiple Meanings), representing the “Semantics” and “Speaking” constructs, has been added.
- The Generals and Grammatic Comprehension subtests have been renamed to better reflect their contents; the new names are Relational Vocabulary and Morphological Comprehension.
- Testing age range has been extended to include students between 13-0 and 17-11.
- Test manual has been streamlined to be more user-friendly.
Complete kit includes Examiners Manual, Picture Book, and 25 Examiner/Record Forms, all in a sturdy storage box.