The 55 yoga poses and 110 activities in this oversized, colorfully illustrated 6" x 8" card deck help children understand how their bodies and minds work together. Occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, physical therapists, teachers, and parents can use yoga in the classroom, at home, or in treatment to improve fine and gross motor skills, sensory processing, attention, communication, and cognition.
Yogarilla Card Deck includes:
- 55 traditional and original yoga poses sorted by starting positions and color-coded for easy identification.
- 10 standing, 10 seated, 10 prone, 10 supine, and 10 hands and knees
- 3 partner poses (Two children work together in a pose)
- 2 breathing poses (Improve awareness of breath and breath support)
- Content cards that highlight ways the cards can be used.
The popular Americanized version of yoga being taught in schools is a secular form of mind-body exercise focused on mental and physical benefits, not spirituality. Research on school-based yoga and mindfulness suggests that these programs may lead to improvements in focus, memory, self-esteem, academic performance, and classroom behavior, and can even reduce anxiety and stress in children.Potential Benefits of Yoga
- Provides students with healthy ways to express, balance, and regulate their emotions and behavior
- Promotes a more relaxed, comfortable state of being - the perfect state for teaching and learning
- Brings students into the present moment – the most basic requirement for learning
- Encourages community and connectedness within the classroom
- Provides opportunities for beneficial motor breaks throughout the day
- Eases anxiety and tension (such as pre-test or performance jitters)
- Enhances focus, attention, concentration, comprehension and memory
- Reduces anger, depression, and fatigue
- Supports social and emotional learning
- Enhances flexibility, strength, and physical well-being