Kaufman Kit 2 is designed for children who have mastered sounds in Kit 1 (p, b, m, t, d, n h, w). Advanced level Kit 2 then works to refine intelligibility and build higher motor-speech coordination for children with apraxia of speech.
Kit 2 includes 285 visual referent cards (5" x 7") and employs the successive "word shell" approximation approach, highly effective for quickly building motor-speech coordination and allows children with apraxia to begin progressing immediately from a simple core vocabulary toward becoming effective vocal/verbal communicators..
Each Kaufman speech card displays a series of “successive approximations” of the target word based on least physiological effort and breaks down the target word into a series of successive word approximations based on least physiological effort. Each card breaks down the target word into a series of successive word approximations based on least physiological effort. These "word shells" provide a verbal avenue by which children communicate at their own skill level with success!
Kit 2 uses familiar two and three-syllable words to target more complicated motor-speech movements and synthesis into initial and final word positions. The accompanying manual explains the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) methods and how to quickly and effectively utilize these methods to help children become effective vocal/verbal communicators.
Children who are having difficulty with the production, synthesis, and/or sequencing of words with /k, g, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/. Visual referents are most appropriate for children ages 4-10.
Target Word List includes:
- Utilizes complex consonant sounds /k,g,f,s,sh/ and blends /s,r,l/ to address more complicated motor-speech movements and synthesis into initial and final word positions.
- Refines articulation accuracy and general speech intelligibility.
- Addresses more complicated motor-speech movements and synthesis into initial and final word positions.
- Cards can be combined to develop sentences for more clarity practice.
- CbVCf - one and two-syllable back-velar to tip-alveolar
- CbVCb - one and two-syllable tip-alveolar to back-velar
- "low" pivot syllable
- /tər/ pivot syllable
- /bər/ pivot syllable
- "ing" pivot syllable
- Familiar complex bisyllabics
- Familiar complex polysyllabics
- Synthesis of /k, g, l, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/
- Synthesis into initial and final word positions
- 285 durable and engaging picture cards to target sounds: /k, g, l, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/
- Cards are 5"x7" with bright color illustrations on the front and phonemic approximations
"word shells" on the reverse side
- Color coded cards and dividers designed for easy organization
- Durable carrying case with handle for easy transport
- Instructional manual including:
- Complete evaluation hierarchy
- Complete treatment hierarchy
- Cueing techniques
- IEP Goal-writing examples
- General treatment considerations